Thursday, July 2, 2015

Another Awful Plate Of Italian Pasta

Restaurant reviewed by: Jane Ong

baked spaghetti with broccoli rabe & sausage

My colleague and I came to this restaurant based on Yelp's rating when we searched for Italian cuisine in Toms River NJ.  This is the second time we had a really bad dinner experience thanks to the misleading rating on Yelp.  I ordered  Baked Spaghetti With Broccoli Rabe & Sausage ($12.95).  It tasted so bitter that no matter how much Parmesan Cheese I sprinkled on my pasta, I still couldn't eat it.  The broccoli rabe is just too bitter and the fact that they sauteed the spaghetti with it gave everything in the dish a bitter taste.  The sausage also tasted horrible with a very stale and grayish color.  The sausages I bought from the supermarket tasted so many times better. I don't know if these sausages were just made too long ago and stored in the freezer for too long.  I just never had sausages this bad.

Minestrone Soup

The Ministrone soup that came with the pasta also didn't taste good and I didn't care for it.  I love Minestrone but I didn't like this one.  I made much much better Minestrone at home even though I'm not Italian and I certainly don't have much cooking experience.


The rolls tasted acceptable and the butter was good.  The rolls and butter turned out to be the only thing I could eat for my dinner tonight.  My colleague ordered some kind of Chicken pasta with marinara sauce which was very bland.  I can't tell whether the marinara sauce here is better than the last Italian restaurant Yelp led me to where I also had a bad experience.  I feel that the Marinara sauce in both places are equally bland.  How can this be?  I never knew marinara sauce could taste this bland until I came to this area.


The interior of the restaurant is spacious, comfortable and clean.  There is this painting that I love very much. But I came here for the food, not to just sit and stare at a painting.  I don't think I will come back to this restaurant again, because I don't want to hate Italian food. I would have had much better pasta tonight if only I ordered room service at my hotel.

Restaurant: Luigi's
Address: 21 Union Ave, Lakehurst NJ 08733
Tel: (732) 657-7000

No comments:

Post a Comment